Bowel Cancer Screening
Bowel Cancer Screening programme- what you need to know!
· Is for all people 50-74 years old.
· Is the third commonest cancer.
· Invitations are sent every 2 years usually near your birthday.
· Men more at risk than women ( 1 in 18 men, 1 in 22 women).
· Only 52% of men ( & 58% of women) returned test kits.
· Less than one in 50 people who return a kit will be positive and have to undergo a bowel examination - of these people 1 in 10 will have bowel cancer.
· 2 patients in our practice have had bowel cancer detected and treated in this practice alone since screening began.
· Early detection means cure for over 90% of cases. Late detection means this reduces to only 10%.
· Look at http://www.bowelscreening.scot.nhs.uk/ for more information.
· For a replacement kit contact 0800 0121 833.
If still in doubt about completing the test, read what Brian, a patient, says below:
"Earlier this year feeling and looking fit and healthy, I undertook, with confidence, the routine bowel screening test which arrived in the post. With no obvious symptoms I was surprised when the simple test highlighted what turned out to be a malignant tumour. How grateful I am that the problem was detected early enough for the dedicated team at the Western General Hospital to resolve through surgery and treatment. My message is clear - if you receive a screening kit in the post then PLEASE TAKE THE TEST. I am certainly glad I did" Brian - Dunbar